Friday, March 30, 2007

A Freshman's Approach to Making Papers

Here is something I came up with when experimenting with paper designs -- very simple and easy to do.

This is my finished background:

I started with a screenshot from Google Earth of Oregon's high desert country.


You can see a few clouds, and the green circles, where the fields are watered with those huge sprinklers that go around on a pivot.


I then added a cropped section of a photo I took of a cascading stream --

For color, I choose a pretty teal:

I made two teal layers and put one as the bottom and one as the top.
I then played with the layer blends and ended up with this:

Top Layer: Solid teal, set to 'screen' blend, opacity 100%
Raster 3 (cascade stream) 'soft light', opacity 20%
Raster 2 (google earth) 'luminance', opacity 26%
Bottom Layer: Solid teal, 'multiply', opacity 50%

Here is my layer palette:


There are numerous possibilities just by playing with the layer blends, opacity, using different solid colors and images, adding texture, make it more bold by raising the opacity, or softer by lowering, etc.

You can download the layered .psd HERE if you'd like to experiment yourself.
Download the finished paper HERE.

14 comments:

Gail said...

This paper is so beautiful - thank you! And thank you for providing the psd file so we can try different options ourselves - and for the great tutorial!

Joy said...

This is really cool! Thanks for the tip and the files!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much.

Lots of luv

Chris

Anonymous said...

thank-you for the readings and lovely tut's and papers, beautiful :)

Scraps of Bev said...

Jill this paper is gorgeous and thanks so much for the tutorial...makes me want to rush off and have ago myself..

Who would have thought that it all started with a screenshot from Google Earth..quite amazing and so creative!!

VJ's Scrap Room said...

Good Afternoon Jill:)
I love this paper and the color is fantastic.:) Thank you soo much for it and the tutorial on how you achieved it.:)How cool:)

Have a great weekend!!

Hugs,
Valinda

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous -- and as a learner, what a delight to also see how you made it. Thank you! The irrigation system is called, ta da, "Center Pivot". This major piece of important information, lol, is provided via my husband who works for a company that manufactures them. Hugs!! Love your share!!!

xashee's corner said...

thank you for sharing a very cool way of making papers!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Jill..thank you for sharing..Joanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,
How neat, and thanks for sharing the experience with us! I've never thought about using photos I took to make papers like that. Very cool, and smart thing to do. Again, thanks for sharing with us.
Take care,
Angel

Anonymous said...

WOW, this is absolutely gorgeous paper!!! Thank you for the mini tut. ~Lil B~

Shell said...

Love that effect & color. I would have never even thought to use a photo like that to make papers. Thanks for the paper & tut.

Photopassion said...

Thank you very much for this tutorial! It´s amazing how the finished paper looks like :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for making paper! Thank you so much for not only sharing the idea but even the psd file and paper! It is appreciated!